Discher Bros. Contractors was founded in 1945 by brothers Melvin and Gilbert Discher upon their return to Oshkosh, WI from service in World War II. Brother Harold, who had been helping out, joined company ownership two years later. At this time, their cabinets were either built on site or in the garage and transported to the jobsite via their Cadillac bicycle or borrowed rickshaw.
Originally starting out doing a variety of residential and small commercial projects in the Fox Valley area, the company expanded into commercial general contracting and remodeling in the mid-1950’s, employing many skilled carpenters, cabinetmakers, masons, cement finishers and laborers. Moving into their first permanent facility in 1960, scope was expanded upon general contracting to supplying millwork and casework nationwide through millwork jobbers.
The 1970’s brought an increased focus on the architectural millwork end of the business and less on general contracting. Millwork jobs continued, while also directing sales to other general contractors. Melvin’s son, Bruce, became more involved with company operations during this time.
With Harold & Gilbert retiring in the early 1980’s, Melvin partnered with Bruce forming Discher Architectural Millwork, and transitioning the company into the current model of solely bidding architectural millwork directly to general contractors. With continued growth, a new facility was constructed in 1990 to expand capacity; additions completed in 1991, 1996, 1997 & 2012 have brought the facility to its current size.
Bruce Discher took sole ownership of the company in 1997, with Melvin officially retiring in 2005. John Discher, Bruce’s son, joined the company upon graduation from the University of Wisconsin-Stout in 2008, becoming a partner in 2012. Bruce assumed the title of Chairman with his retirement at the end of 2019, and John was named President in 2020. Marc Metoxen, Melvin’s grandson & Bruce’s nephew, was named Vice President in 2021.